Friday, April 3, 2009

Grasping Straws and Line of Attack

As any parent with a child with autism, you would do anything to cure or diminish the symptoms of autism. I have heard some crazy theories and drastic measures that parents have taken. Some I do not agree with and some I'm willing to try even if I'm not fully sure of the science behind it. The most drastic I have heard of is of a family who took their child to Mexico every three months for a full blood transfusion. When I heard that I was horrified.

I am trying some less intrusive measures to help my two little rug rats. So far we have put them on gluten and casein free diets. Boy has it been a pain to try and make the daily menu differ from day to day. And then try to get the kids to eat the stuff. I think a steady diet of marshmallows couldn't hurt. It is something both gluten and casein free and they will eat it.

We are also doing listening therapy. We have been doing that for a while and Jaden is now comfortable to listen to his music in the car with his bulky headphones.

Also, we have the opportunity to get Jaden into a chiropractor to treat Jaden for his autism at a discount rate. I have never been one to go to a chiropractor. But throughout all this, I'm going to keep an open mind. But I have to admit, I've been there three times and I have been very fascinated. It is amazing how our muscles weaken when we are exposed to substances our bodies are sensitive too. It is crazy.

He is going to a preschool aimed primarily for autistic children and children with other learning disabilities. I love the teachers at the school. They love what they are doing and put their hearts into it. I knew I liked them when Jaden's teacher choked up while I was explaining that we were selling our home as we were trying to get Brinn into as much therapy as possible too. They have been giving us diapers, laundry detergent, and food at each visit. They are the most caring people I can imagine.

I have been doing some reading and research and I have decided to do a ABA therapy program at home. I talked to a consultant on Monday and discussed his plans for what he thinks both Jaden and Brinn need. A program will cost about $30,000-$35,000 a year per kid. This is why we are selling our home.

Jaden will probably need 25-40 hours of ABA therapy a week. Brinn will only need 8 hours of RDI therapy a week. It was a good thing we caught Brinn's symptoms early. If you don't know anything about ABA therapy it consists of the child sitting in a chair the whole time having information thrown at them. It may sound harsh and intense, which it is, but studies and personal stories have said that it can cure children of autism with a higher success rate. I have explained to Jason that we are investing in our grandchildren by doing this.

Oh, and by the way, it is hard to find an ABA therapy consultant in Utah. I had to go through many disconnected numbers and moved consultants to find the one I met with. But the exciting news was when I was talking with Jaden's and Brinn's therapist, he mentioned he had run programs before and he was willing to do it for a much lower cost. But we will still have to hire other instructors (college students at $10/hr) to help out with Jaden's therapy. So I think we will hire Jaden's teacher to be our consultant.

This is what is going on right now and I'm about to post some ads in college newspapers, and solicit school district, special ed therapists I know.

So essentially I'm going to be starting a home business that will lose a lot of money. Any investors?. . . Anyone?

No comments: