Thursday, April 30, 2009

Student Stampede

Okay, hunting students is officially in season . . . hypothetically speaking of course (depending on where you live I guess). But once BYU shut its doors to its students they all came applying for the two positions I have left on my ABA therapy team. I have 12 messages a night when I come home from my therapy runs (for the kids. Not for me...yet) asking for a job.

The thing that amazes me is their lack of ability to follow directions in the ad I posted in the school paper. Only a very few (let's say 2) of the students actually went to the website describing what, where, when, and how to get the job. I also had a girl ask for me to pay her gas, and ask if it was okay to take 4 weeks off, and ask when would she get a raise. Where do these kids come from???

I forgot to mention that I talked with another mother who is doing an ABA program. Talking with her and her experiences I decided to go with Scott rather than Jaden's therapist. Mostly because Scott had more experience with just ABA and also something in my gut said to go with Scott. And everyone always knows I go with my gut in all matters...particularly when it comes to food.

So I have hired two people already and I need two more. There is one kid who I really like who is pre-med and can give me at least a year commitment . Then I have 7 other interviews to hold to make another decision. And if you know me I am the last person to ask to make a decision.

Also, Jaden has made a lot of progress. His therapist got him to say "I want candy" and to identify and say all his colors. He also calls Brinn "baby". She is not Brinn she is just "baby". Jaden now to my delight has taken to copying the dances and songs on Peter Pan and Jungle Book. He loves to sing and dance to King Louie's scat song and the pirate song. He also calls elephants "Hathi" since that is the name of the elephant on Jungle Book. Just to clarify we don't watch these movies all the time.

Brinn still walks like a ballerina so I got her some stiff soled shoes to try and get her to stop. It kind of helped but she'll just walk up to a table or a chair and holds on while she gets on her tippy toes. We have also been doing some stretching exercises so that her tendons don't tighten up which could eventually mean surgery. Ouch!

So therapy will start for Brinn in a week. And Jadens therapy should start in two to three weeks.
Also, thanks so much aunt Kerry for your help. We are trying to scramble to get materials for Jaden's therapy and your help has made a huge difference (and we miss you).

No comments: